December 11, 2008

When I re-learnt walking ...

Last summer In Norway, I tried walking with skis on.... to watch an expert ski made me feel its soo easy... That was my first stumbling block.... Suddenly I was struck to something below
my shoes (Not mine really... I had to wear shoes of someone else which would fit me... reminds me of 'Getting yourself into Someone elses shoe'... ).... That something was running 3 feet infront and 3 feet behind me too..... Imagine what was the first thing I was asked to try with my skis on..... WALK... !! they said... 'Try and walk with them... without falling... ;)'.... It was sooo very
difficult just to walk with the skis.... Next step is try sliding one foot after the other.... Thats when I fell for the first time... Falling down was pretty easy... The most difficult part of skiing was to get up after a nasty fall..... Suddenly you put your Thinking hat on and start working out ways you could get up.... It did remind me of my nieces first steps and falls... I don't remember mine.. :) To my surprise I was sweating inside three layers of clothing and in the temperature 4 degrees on other side of ZERO..... !! I managed to ski a little finally after couple of hours of falls and rises.... I don't equate that to 'I Learnt SKIING' though....

Then again... In Scotland.... I tried ICE SKATING.... I didn't know the area would be called a RINK until I got there.... Again the same 'funda'.. trying to walk on two blades below the ice
skate training shoes.... and ON ICE.... ;).... I couldn't make up my mind to leave the short boundary wall and try standing on my feet the first day..... The next day the trainer was around.. and I had the courage to try and walk... without holding on to anything..... and there it was... A trainer's first lesson got me moving on ICE with the skates on....Hurray!!!.... as soon as I said that.... I had a BIGGG.... 78 Kilo fall...to the ice beneath... There was this cute little 3 year old... around with the trainer... when trainer asked me 'Are you alright?'... I said 'If you don't fall you won't learn'... The kiddo instantaneously uttered 'I have fallen many times... don't worry you are doing alright!!'.... Those words of encouragement from the cute girl... is making me to go skating this weekend again... :)

Cheers!
Pramod

No comments: